[slime-devel] Re: How to debug a crash?

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Tue Dec 5 13:28:01 UTC 2006

* Harald Hanche-Olsen [2006-12-03 23:05+0100] writes:

> Is there an easy way to get a trace of the traffic between emacs and
> the superior lisp?  I know that some such information is traced on the
> emacs side, but since emacs crashes, I cannot see it there.

You can set swank:*log-events* and you probably also want to disable
swank:*global-debugger*.  And there's always ethereal (or whatever
it's called now).

* Harald Hanche-Olsen [2006-12-04 11:49+0100] writes:

> One more thing.  I guess I should have asked this very basic question
> first:  Does the mere fact of editing a Lisp file cause communication
> with the swank server?  If so, what is being communicated?

Yes, Emacs notifies the Lisp side on the first buffer change.  There's
also a lot of communication for arglist lookup and -- if enabled --
the autodoc stuff.