[slime-devel] Re: Feature suggestion

Levente Mészáros levente.meszaros at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 07:34:40 UTC 2006

I remember when I started programming in lisp I wanted to have the
very same feature, but (fortunately) I didn't take the time to ask or
to implement it. Now that I got used to lisp and SLIME I think it's
rather confusing than convenient and I believe now I can perfectly
understand why I wanted to have that and why I was wrong. It was of
course related to my background and to the languages that I already
knew.

Still I think both ways could be supported by SLIME (defaulting to the
current behavior of course) and some people may find this degree of
freedom useful. But I guess it will not be implemented by any advanced
lisper clearly because they will not find it useful. On the other hand
I personally don't see anything bad in applying a patch that
optionally implements this behavior correctly.

levy

On 25 Aug 2006 03:46:36 +0200, Andras Simon <andras at renyi.hu> wrote:
> Marco Antoniotti <marcoxa at cs.nyu.edu> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I would like to suggest a feature for SLIME taken from Lispworks.
> >
> > In LW I can type
> >
> > prompt> first '(1 2 3)
> > 3
> >
> > prompt> member 42 '((3 2 3) (1 42 33) (42 11 22)) :key #'second
> > ((1 42 33) (42 11 22))
> >
> > I.e. a line gets parenthesized if it is not already an expression (of course
> > there are cases where things get hairy, but in general I find it useful).
>
> Is it typing or reading those outer parens that bothers you? If the former,
> then slime printing a pair of parens after the prompt with the point on the
> closing one, and temporarily making, say Space, delete the parens, would seem
> like a better idea to me.
>

> > This may even make it more appealing to people who dislike enclosing
> > parentheses.
>
> Who are those people? :)
>
> Andras

There's no perfectoin