[slime-devel] (setq swank:*globally-redirect-io* t) no longer works?

Lars Rune Nøstdal larsnostdal at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 13:16:18 UTC 2006

Hello,
Using latest CVS of SBCL and Slime with swank:*globally-redirect-io* set
to T no longer directs output to *standard-output* to the Emacs-buffer
*slime-repl sbcl* when printing in a thread; it gets printed in the
Emacs-buffer *inferior-lisp* instead.

This happens when I print to *standard-output* from a thread, like this:

cl-user> (sb-thread:make-thread (lambda ()
                                  (write-line "hello?")))
#<sb-thread:thread {B0FC379}>

Now I know I can fix this by binding *standard-output* inside the lambda
via a lexical variable pointing to the "original" *standard-output*
"outside" the thread.

I'm wondering if this change of behavior of swank:*globally-redirect-io*
is intended or maybe caused by something else? I've found this feature
useful when doing quick and nasty debugging - so I kind of miss it. :)

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://lars.nostdal.org/