[slime-devel] encoding problem ?

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Tue Apr 25 09:41:39 UTC 2006

Harald,

> | And I still have the following message when I want to load my file:
> |
> | > invalid byte #xE7 in CHARSET:ASCII conversion
> | >    [Condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR]
>
> You don't tell us how you load the file, but my guess is that you are
> not doing  (load filename :external-format :utf-8).  Right?

You are absolutely right. I am trying to go through the Practical
Common Lisp book so it is needless to say that I was not even aware
that such an option existed.

The way I try to load the file is simply:

(load "~/path/to/file.txt")

For practical purposes I would like to have Slime understand that my
default is UTF-8, since I mostly deal with mulilingual files with not
overlapping character sets.

I think I managed to have Emacs (I use Aquamacs) understand that,
since all the .lisp multilingual files I have are properly displayed,
so the next step would be to have Slime get that too :)

Besides, after I tried:

(load "~/Documents/_travail/Programmes/lisp/salut_2.lisp" :external-
format :utf-8)

I got yet another error message:
> OPEN: illegal :EXTERNAL-FORMAT argument :UTF-8
>    [Condition of type SIMPLE-TYPE-ERROR]

I just checked that the file was properly saved in utf-8.

Regards,
Jean-Christophe