[slime-devel] Slime in Aquamacs by default ?

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Fri Apr 21 08:34:36 UTC 2006

I am helping on the Aquamacs-emacs list, mostly pointing out glitches
in the docs etc. I have started learning emacs to learn Lisp thanks
to Peter Seibel's book and I would like to have Slime installed by
default in Aquamacs.

After mentionning that on the Aquamacs list, the developper, David
Reitter, replied the following:

> On 21 Apr 2006, at 02:57, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>
>> A stable version of slime 2.0 has just been released, I know it is
>> always possible to include that later oneself, but since it is pretty
>> much the only available Lisp IDE on OSX, I was wondering if special
>> attention could not be given to it ? Like include it by default ?
>>
>> (I am just realizing that typing the above paragraph in Aquamacs
>> added line breaks, must be that longline is not activated in Mail
>> mode ?)
>>
>> Lisp is really one of the first reason why I got interested in
>> Emacs, because it looked like an easy to learn language. Now that
>> Peter Seible's book is out (and is a hit), there seems to be a
>> renewal of interest among "beginners".
>
> Yes, we can do that.
> Someone needs to develop a little compile-file, which will build
> Slime from Source (as far as that's necessary) and install it where
> it belongs (a site-lisp/edit-modes/SLIME directory.
> Then, code to auto-load it needs to be added to the aquamacs-mode-
> defaults file.
>
> Can you do that? (I don't know Slime very well.)
>
> If you send me these things, I would add it to CVS.
>
> I would like SLIME to be a part of Aquamacs, too.

I have no idea what that involves. Would a person here be nice enough
to provide David with what he needs ?

Thank you in advance, and thank you for what you are doing with Slime !

Regards,
Jean-Christophe Helary