[slime-devel] GC freeze up with CMUCL

David Trudgett wpower at zeta.org.au
Mon Apr 10 20:56:37 UTC 2006

On Monday 2006-04-10 at 13:28:05 +0200, Mario S.Mommer wrote:

> I've had no problems with slime _whatsoever_, and don't remember
> ever hitting a bug. The only things that have happened to me is that
> I discover by accident yet another feature :-)

I used to have trouble-free slime, too, but ever since December or so,
on both Debian and Red Hat systems, I've been getting periodic "freeze
ups" where I have to SIGTERM the lisp process and re-run M-x slime. It
was only recently (when I read someone's comment -- here?) that I
realised this occurs when CMUCL does its garbage collection. Turning
GC off avoids the situation.

Does anyone know the solution to this?

Failing that, is there a quick and easy way to restart slime to get a
fresh lisp image? (A sort of manual garbage collection! ;-))

I'm using recent CVS slime (various since December) and Emacs 21.4.1,
with CMUCL 19a.

Thanks,

David

--
David Trudgett
http://www.zeta.org.au/~wpower/

Philosophers continue to insist that war could, logically, be all
right, ignoring the powerful reasons which make the logical
possibility of a just war a non-actuality.

    -- J. Teichman, "Pacifism and the Just War: A Study in Applied
       Philosophy", Basil Blackwell, 1986, p.108