[slime-devel] Allegro's *source-pathname*

Gary King gwking at metabang.com
Tue Apr 4 13:52:02 UTC 2006

Allegro generates redefinition warning when a form is evaluated in a
buffer. Technically, Allegro is correct: a form that was in a file is
now being redefined at the top-level. I find it irritating, however,
because the form is contained in a buffer that maps to the file
(using all these words in non-technical senses <smile>). If I
understand Franz's documentation (see below), then binding *source-
pathname* to the pathname of the current buffer would prevent these
warnings. Would this be a "bad-thing" or a "good-thing"? After all,
there is also the interpret / compile distinction that I believe
still matters to Allegro? Opinions?

> *source-pathname*
>
> When a function, defstruct accessor, flavor method, or macro is
> defined, and when symbol-function is setf'ed, the value of this
> variable is recorded as the place of definition. During a load of a
> source file or during a compile-file this variable is bound to the
> name of the file being loaded or compiled. Programs, such as
> editors running Lisp as a subprocess, or users typing to the top-
> level may themselves bind this variable to any pathname designator
> (a string or a pathname object) they wish, and the information will
> be recorded except when load is used to transmit the definition to
> Lisp.

thanks,
--
Gary Warren King