[slime-devel] Re: SLIME48: a Swank back end in Scheme48

Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Wed Sep 28 11:34:28 UTC 2005

Hi,

Taylor Campbell wrote:
>To clarify briefly: by a fork of SLIME for SLIME48, I don't mean to
>make a fork that is completely oriented toward Scheme48 (or Scheme48 &
>MIT Scheme, or whatever), but rather to make a more clearly specified
>network protocol for communicating between a user interface and a Lisp
>system [...]

I'm always in favour of clearing up protocols, but I wonder why a fork is needed for that and what it has to do with Scheme? To me it's just 2 completely different things.

As far as my use of Scheme goes, I've used M-x run-lisp (the old cmulisp.el) when using Kawa in the past and hope that the original run-lisp.el still works with SLIME (I haven't tested that), i.e. that SLIME for CL and run-lisp can coexist in the same Emacs, since I sometimes use both CL and Scheme at the same time. BTW, cmuscheme.el does IMHO not provide as much functionality as cmulisp/run-lisp.el, except for Scheme-style pretty printing.

I'd be happy if a single download of a SLIME package would allow me to work with both CL and a Scheme (Kawa?) and whatever, instead of trying to figure out how to get two forks with likely .el files with equal names to work in the same Emacs.

Regards,
	Jorg Hohle.