[slime-devel] SLIME48: a Swank back end in Scheme48

Thomas F. Burdick tfb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Sep 20 22:40:55 UTC 2005

Helmut Eller writes:
 > * Taylor Campbell [2005-09-17 04:47+0200] writes:
 >
 > > Is there more interest in maintaining a well-engineered & -specified
 > > protocol for general Lisp interaction, or in producing just an
 > > environment for Lisp development in Emacs, regardless of how messy the
 > > internals are, and without any provision for reuse & extension in
 > > other directions?  For instance, the notion of utilizing Swank in the
 > > McCLIM tools has been considered, where those tools would serve as a
 > > Swank front end, if the protocol were sufficiently general and well-
 > > abstracted.  (I'm not saying that SLIME should provide this, but
 > > rather that it may be a worthwhile direction to consider.)
 >
 > I for one, am not interested in "general Lisp interaction".  Emacs is
 > the only front-end I want to use anyway.  I'm however interested in
 > interaction of Emacs with external (possibly non-lisp)
 > interpreters/debuggers.  Most of the talk about using SLIME for other
 > things I have heard has not been more than that: talk.  And I think it
 > would be a bit silly to provide for reuse and extension if there's no
 > actual application which uses it.

I have both an Ltk debugger and an Ltk Smalltalk-style-browser that
use swank.  They use swank not just for portability, but also to be
add-on tools to slime (eg, it's no fun when you're looking at an Ltk
window, and a debugger pops up in an emacs somewhere -- and at the
same time, I want to be able to use SLIME for 95% of my Lisp
interaction).  Before releasing them, I'll have to clear them past my
own personal QA (they shouldn't be patches against 4-month old
releases), and clear them by my employer ... but, I can certainly
vouch for other tools existing atop swank.

I like the slime/swank assumption that everything is ANSI and AMOP
compliant as far as makes sense.  And it definately makes my life
easier as a swank-frontend implementor.

--
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |