[slime-devel] SLIME48: a Swank back end in Scheme48

Taylor Campbell campbell at mumble.net
Fri Sep 16 02:58:50 UTC 2005

I've just put up a new and considerably improved tarball of the
current status of Scheme48; since the last one, I've also moved hosts
(and therefore email addresses & URLs), so it's now up at

  <http://mumble.net/~campbell/scheme/slime48.tar.gz>

(and web-browsable in the slime48/ subdirectory of the same directory
as slime48.tar.gz is in).  Many features are still missing, but I've
added important ones like evaluation in SLDB frames, an inspector, &
I/O, and it's approaching actual usability now, I think, though there
is a bit that would need more support on the Emacs side before I can
continue and make it really usable in Scheme48 hacking.  (For example,
module control commands would be necessary for that -- commands which,
for the most part, I believe, could be equally applicable to Common
Lisp packages or ASDF systems.)

I think my question might have been lost in the traffic of the mailing
list, so I'll ask once more: several people, including Marco Baringer,
have suggested that it might be a good idea to add the Scheme48 back
end to the main SLIME CVS source repository.  I could fork SLIME to
support the small changes needed for SLIME48 myself, but that would
really be a pain to maintain, and I'd like SLIME48 to work pretty much
out of the box.  What do the SLIME developers/maintainers think about
this?