[slime-devel] security and presentations

Alan Ruttenberg alanr-l at mumble.net
Sat Sep 10 16:53:10 UTC 2005

On Sep 10, 2005, at 9:47 AM, Helmut Eller wrote:
> I don't quite understand why a menu has to evaluate arbitrary ELisp
> code.  Shouldn't Emacs just tell Lisp which menu item was selected?
> Or is needed for the kind of stuff people do with javascript in
> web-browsers?

Where the menu is to take an action in emacs you need to tell emacs
somehow what to do. It seemed easier to simply do that in one place
rather than having to create both the menu action in lisp and a
separate function in emacs. However, it would be equivalent to simply
send the menu choice back to lisp and have lisp call
swank:eval-in-emacs when appropriate.

I suppose this is a matter of nostalgia as well - I am used to the
situation where the debugging/editing environment and the runtime are
running together. Having the emacs code sitting in the same place made
it feel less like I always had to worry about the mechanics of the
connection.

> BTW, are presentations of any use to people who don't use a mouse with
> Emacs?

You can copy them and reuse them as input. I can look in to providing a
mechanism for accessing the menu choices via the keyboard.

> The "security" switch sounds a bit academic/useless to me, but I don't
> mind if you add one.

I'm trying to understand where this would be a legitimate concern. The
only situation I can imagine, given that you are in the repl already
(and hence have full access to the lisp and emacs) is that you want to
use slime to debug a potentially compromised lisp. In that case one
could imagine whoever compromised the lisp waiting for you to connect
with slime and then pounce on your emacs. Is that the situation you
were thinking about Matthias?

The reason that I suggested that security be off by default is that
this seemed to be a rather uncommon case and so why not put the burden
on the uncommon case. However maybe there is a more common situation...

-Alan