[slime-devel] presentations

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Fri Sep 2 22:46:21 UTC 2005

I've some questions about the presentation stuff:

1. now that we have explicit messages for presentations in the
   protocol, can we remove the bridge thing?  Yes, I know that
   presentations will then not work with the dedicated output stream,
   but that's a efficiency hack and layerying the bridge kludge on top
   of the efficiency hack is so ugly, it makes me cry.  I'll remove
   it, if there are no objections.

2. is there another way to handle presentations than with
   after-change-functions?  Our after-change-functions are totally
   broken in Emacs20.  Could we use overlays instead of text
   properties for presentations?

3. is *can-print-presentation* still needed?  It seems to me that
   slime-stream-p serves about the same purpose, but it is much
   cleaner.  It's also ugly the we need to bind
   *can-print-presentation* in a lot of unrelated/random places.