[slime-devel] Re: Slime lockup after returning from SLDB

Steven E. Harris seh at panix.com
Mon Oct 31 02:20:20 UTC 2005

Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:

> The problem is that the `abort' restart is established by CLISP's
> native REPL and is "below" the SLIME event loop. So if you invoke
> the restart, you jump out of the loop and SLIME stops responding to
> events.

Is this a recent change? I've been using 'a' to abort from sldb for a
long time, and only noticed these hanging problems recently.

> The usual way to exit from SLDB is with `q' which to invokes the
> `abort-request' restart.

What's the use of providing the 'a'/abort restart when it produces
surprising, disruptive behavior? I keep hitting 'a', finding SLIME
unresponsive to subsequent evaluation requests, and having to kill and
restart CLISP.

The names seem backward, too. I would expect "quit" to imply what
abort is currently doing -- killing the CL session. It seems more
natural to me to "abort" from problematic evaluations that invoke the
debugger and to "quit" SLIME when I don't want to interact with my CL
session any longer.

--
Steven E. Harris