[slime-devel] Error on startup: Servname not supported

Stuart Bain gunfighter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 17:10:58 UTC 2005

Greetings all,

I installed slime from CVS HEAD today (2005-10-26), and modified my
init.el per the README; however, when I went to start slime, I ran
into some problems.

Specifically, the command buffer in emacs states:
itimer "run-with-timer" signaled: (error "127.0.0.1/(^W1^H& Servname
not supported for ai_socktype")

I'm running XEmacs 21.4.17, and my clisp --version reports Software:
GNU C 4.0.2. I'm running on the "breezy" version of Kubuntu Linux
(Ubuntu).

Has anyone run into this before? I'm new to Lisp and installing slime
so I can go through some of the examples and exercises in the PCL
book. Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

-- Stuart