[slime-devel] Problems with AllegroCL and completion

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Mon Oct 10 09:19:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:53:29 +0200, Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> wrote:

> Does this also happen if you set:
>
> (setq slime-complete-symbol-function 'slime-simple-complete-symbol)
>
> ?

Yes.  In fact, this is obviously not related to symbol completion as I
first thought.  Here's a much simpler test case: With a freshly
started SLIME type x and then the ENTER key.  You're thrown into the
debugger because the symbol is unbound.  Type a to abort.  Repeat this
two or three times - presto:

  ; SLIME 2005-10-09
  CL-USER> x
  ; Evaluation aborted
  CL-USER> x
  ; Evaluation aborted
  CL-USER> x
  ; Evaluation aborted
  CL-USER> x
  Error: An allocation request for 268435480 bytes caused a need for 536870912 more bytes of heap. The operating system will not make the space available because the address space reserved for the heap could not be increased.
    [condition type: STORAGE-CONDITION]

  Restart actions (select using :continue):
   0: Return to sldb level 1.
   1: Try evaluating X again.
   2: Use :X instead.
   3: Set the symbol-value of X and use its value.
   4: Use a value without setting X.
   5: Abort handling SLIME request.
   6: Abort entirely from this (lisp) process.
  [Current process: new-repl-thread]
  [1] CL-USER(1):

At the moment, SLIME seems to be more or less unusable with
AllegroCL... :(

Cheers,
Edi.

PS: I updated SLIME from CVS yesterday and then began to see these
    problems.  I'm not 100% sure when I updated the last time but it's
    probably not more than two or three weeks ago.

PPS: AllegroCL is very recent, i.e. I did (SYS:UPDATE-ALLEGRO) last
     week.