[slime-devel] non-Latin1 character causes slime to disconnect

Alan Shields Alan-Shields at omrf.ouhsc.edu
Sun Oct 9 19:44:57 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 09:26:56PM +0200, Helmut Eller wrote:
> * Alan Shields [2005-09-29 04:51+0200] writes:
>
> > Any assistance would be appreciated.
>
> SLIME uses a character stream for the communication and we have to use
> certain encoding.  The default encoding is latin-1, which can't
> represent your character.  You can choose a different encoding by
> setting `slime-net-coding-system', e.g. to 'utf-8-unix if you have a
> Unicode capable Emacs.
>
> It's unfortunate that SLIME doesn't give better diagnostic messages in
> this case, but the error occurs at a very low level and it would be
> rather hard to recover from there.
>
> If you use non-latin1 chars, you should now what you're doing and you
> have to pay the price.

I was pulling text out of a database - I had no idea there were
non-latin1 characters in there. I just got a swank disconnect while
working with some values.

SBCL has a restart that will skip the character it can't output - I know
it's not in the standard, but it'd be a nice workaround for at least one
backend.

Thanks for the info on the coding system, that will solve my problem!

Alan