[slime-devel] Backups and Slime

GP lisper spambait at CloudDancer.com
Tue May 24 10:27:20 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a weird problem with Emacs, and it apparently started around
the same time I started using Slime.  I hadn't been coding for a few
months and didn't notice that the simple filename.~N~ emacs backups
had stopped working....sometimes.

After disabling various features in .emacs (or default.el), it doesn't
seem to be slime related, but the time history matches up.  After a
week of guessing, I thought that maybe the emacs wizards here might
have some better guesses.

Some facts:

With the root user, ~N~ backups are fine, regardless of the file ext.
With the lisp user (I have one username exclusively for lisp work),
~N~ backups work on everything but .lisp files.  So the version
control settings would seem to be active, and testing in a *scratch*
emacs buffer shows expected values.

.default.el:

; version control settings
(setq
 backup-by-copying t
 backup-directory-alist '(("." . "~/.saves"))
 delete-old-versions t
 kept-new-versions 9
 kept-old-versions 1
 version-control t
)

; SLIME
(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime")
(require 'slime)
(setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/local/bin/lisp")
(slime-setup :autodoc t)
;(add-hook 'slime-connected-hook 'slime-ensure-typeout-frame)
(setq common-lisp-hyperspec-root "file:///usr/share/doc/HyperSpec/")
(setq common-lisp-hyperspec-symbol-table "file:///usr/share/doc/HyperSpec/Data")
(eval-after-load "hyperspec" '(load "hyperspec-addon"))

Root and lisp users have identical .emacs, except for username in email
(setq-default mail-default-reply-to "spambait at clouddancer.com")

Grepping thru either .../slime/ or the emacs /lisp show that changing
version-control is rarely done, and doesn't seem to be in slime at all.

This is GNU emacs 21.4, I tried dropping back to 21.3 with the same outcome.

Losing ~N~ backups is a problem, I'm used to being able to drop back
to the code that had been working last hour, etc.  Doing a lot of CVS
submits just isn't a habit.

Any guesses??
Any replacement mechanisms?

--