[slime-devel] For presentation fans

Alan Ruttenberg alanr-l at mumble.net
Mon May 23 02:52:15 UTC 2005

Couple more developments: Now check that we are writing to a slime
stream (or an pretty-printer stream that directs to a slime stream)
before presenting.
This should ensure that you don't land up with the in-band messages in
places you didn't intend to, at the expense of possibly missing
presentations if you direct your io to slime via some wrapping stream.
(but you can specialize slime-stream-p for that stream, if you are
motivated)

First readable object : pathnames are now presented. E.g. load file
(when *load-verbose* t) log message has sensitive pathname. Check out
the menu (right click).

Turn that off by setting *enable-presenting-readable-objects* nil

You still have to explicitly load present.lisp. Please do. Unless there
are objections I'll probably make this the default in a few days.

Couple of more notes in the ChangeLog

To do:

- Make it work for non-dedicated-stream
- When you copy the text of just a portion of a presentation with
meta-w, remove the text properties.
- Properly factor for swank.lisp, swank-backend, and lisp specific
portions.
- boxed text for multiple lines is ugly (lispms boxed the outside of
all the text - emacs boxes each line). So see if there is a way to get
nicer behavior, or consider changing default mouseover style.
- Maybe replace x-popup-menu with menu-keymaps (volunteers welcome)
- Assuming presenting readable objects doesn't cause problems, decide
what other objects should so be printed - next candidate: structures.
- Try to implement nested presentations. Strategy:
slime-repl-old-output becomes a list of ids of object point is part of.
Copy presentation and mouseover highlighting need extra work to
properly gather all the parts.

-Alan