[slime-devel] Re: Not exactly 'presentation types for emacs' but useful anyway

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Thu May 19 08:03:47 UTC 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Antonio Menezes Leitao wrote:

> Tell people that everything that is visible on the screen is still
> reachable?  Now, our eyes are part of the Common Lisp environment :-)

presentation-buffer-size?

nil for whole buffer, 0 ... N for a cyclic buffer of N elements.

Or wrap the objects in weak pointers on platforms that have them?

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus              Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
                   Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."

PS. This is probably familiar to most, but still seems appropriate:

===  ALL USERS PLEASE NOTE  ========================

The garbage collector now works.  In addition a new, experimental garbage
collection algorithm has been installed.  With SI:%DSK-GC-QLX-BITS set to
17, (NOT the default) the old garbage collection algorithm remains in
force; when virtual storage is filled, the machine cold boots itself.
With SI:%DSK-GC- QLX-BITS set to 23, the new garbage collector is enabled.
Unlike most garbage collectors, the new gc starts its mark phase from the
mind of the user, rather than from the obarray.  This allows the garbage
collection of significantly more Qs.  As the garbage collector runs, it
may ask you something like "Do you remember what SI:RDTBL-TRANS does?",
and if you can't give a reasonable answer in thirty seconds, the symbol
becomes a candidate for GCing.  The variable SI:%GC-QLX-LUSER-TM governs
how long the GC waits before timing out the user.