[slime-devel] Re: Not exactly 'presentation types for emacs' but useful anyway

Luke Gorrie luke at synap.se
Thu May 19 02:23:15 UTC 2005

Antonio Menezes Leitao <aml at gia.ist.utl.pt> writes:

> I made a quick hack that allows the Slime listener to use Lisp objects
> that were returned from the Common Lisp environment.

Very nice :-)

> Now, it should be obvious that I am keeping all the returned values in
> the Common Lisp side for further use.  This means that they are not
> GCed.  So, from time to time, it might be wise to clean the Listener
> (just like before, with C-cC-t) or just the previous output (with
> C-cC-o).  This also releases the corresponding objects from the Common
> Lisp side.

I added a swank:*record-repl-results* variable so that people can turn
this off if they want to. I'm a little worried about the potential for
astonishment ("why isn't GC working?!") but not sure what the best
solution is.

> If the Slime team thinks this is useful then I suggest that you take a
> good look at the code (as you usually do :-) and refactor it radically
> because I did a lot of copy&paste just to test the idea.  And it might
> also contains lots of bugs :-)

I get it: generate some code and then let the Emacs-monkeys worry
about maintaining it. :-) We'll let you off this time because it's an
irresistible feature. I hacked it a little bit after Marco.

Cheers,
Luke