[slime-devel] Re: Customizing GC messages

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Fri May 6 11:23:11 UTC 2005

Raymond Toy <rtoy at earthlink.net> writes:

> I just basically did the same thing, but it doesn't seem to get
> installed, if I put that in .swank.lisp.
>
> But it's not really important.

Weird.  Works here.

> Will lisp::gencgc-stats do what you want?  I don't really know what
> all of the data mean.  It was meant for someone to use if they needed
> or wanted to try tuning GC for their app.

Good enough for me.  I assume that there are always 6 generations.  I
changed the default gc-hook so that it also prints the time and the
distribution.  It looks now like:

[GC done. 11.2 mb freed  84.5 mb retained  0.0/.05/.01/.12/.78/.03  0.07 sec]
                                           This here is the distribution.

The newest generation is first and, e.g. .78 means that 78% of the
live objects are in the 5th generation.