[slime-devel] Re: Fancy, yes, pleasant, no: slime-complete-symbol*-fancy-bit

Luke Gorrie luke at synap.se
Fri Mar 18 18:21:10 UTC 2005

"Steven E. Harris" <seh at panix.com> writes:

> I have my '[' key bound to `insert-parentheses' so that any open-paren
> I type gets a symmetric closing paren inserted. Consider what happens
> now when I type, say,
>
>   [ user-home TAB

I turned the slime-complete-symbol*-fancy off by default. To turn it
back on just use e.g. `M-x customize-group slime-mode'.

I find it trips me up too much and there's no obvious Right way for it
to work. Another example is functions where the arguments are
optional: should a closing paren be inserted? Since I type a lot
faster than I think the unpredictability slows me down a bit.

> Is there a way to satisfy both use cases without adding another
> configuration variable?

Open question!