[slime-devel] Re: Crash course in SLIME RPC debugging (Re: SLDB hangs with CLISP/Cygwin)

Steven E. Harris seh at panix.com
Tue Mar 15 20:05:14 UTC 2005

"Steven E. Harris" <seh at panix.com> writes:

> If I replace the above form by:
>
> ,----[ slime-process-available-input (modified) ]
> |     (dolist (p slime-net-processes)
> |       (with-current-buffer (process-buffer p)
> |         (when (slime-net-have-input-p)
> |           (message "s-p-a-i: more available in process %s: %s." p
> |                    (slime-net-decode-length))
> | ;          (run-at-time 0 nil 'slime-process-available-input)
> |           )))
> `----

The problem is with `run-at-time' on XEmacs. Please see my bug report¹
posted to the xemacs-beta mailing list.

Until there's a change to `run-at-time' or `start-itimer' on XEmacs,
we can work around the problem by substituting the 0 in the
`run-at-time' call above with `itimer-short-interval'.

I noticed that there are a few places in SLIME that use `run-at-time'
with a expiration of 0 that should be subject to similar failure, but
the debugger hang described in this thread is the only problem I've
experienced so far.

Footnotes:
¹ http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.xemacs.beta/18637
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.xemacs.beta/18638
  (Accidentally posted the message twice.)

--
Steven E. Harris