[slime-devel] Re: SLDB hangs with CLISP/Cygwin

Steven E. Harris seh at panix.com
Sun Mar 13 21:34:43 UTC 2005

Luke Gorrie <luke at synap.se> writes:

> I don't understand why Emacs would be hanging. Do you have another
> copy of Emacs you can test with - e.g.  GNU Emacs?

Not installed here, no. Given more time, I could set up the Cygwin
Emacs package. I'll try this same test at work tomorrow morning (same
software set, different hardware) to see if the same problem arises.

Unfortunately, I can't say how recently this behavior started. I
haven't had to invoke the SLIME debugger on this computer for at least
a month.

I tried some other commands in the debugger to see which elicited
strange behavior. Evaluating a form in a frame produced the "pipelined
request" message in the minibuffer, but did display the result without
hanging. Inspect worked fine. Toggling details, listing locals, and
attempting to expand any single frame (all related commands, I'd
assume) all hang as described. Perhaps there's something specific
about the message exchange to list local bindings.

Can you help interpret what's failing here? My assumption is that
SLIME is hanging waiting for some reply to arrive from the swank
server, and it finds no such reply to read. What SLIME component is
responsible for writing to *slime-events*?

--
Steven E. Harris