[slime-devel] Re: slime-edit-definition woes

Luke Gorrie luke at synap.se
Sat Mar 5 21:14:15 UTC 2005

Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> writes:

> More data points:
>
> 1. I thought this was reproducible but it isn't... :(
>
> 2. The reason for all this may be that SLIME (or CMUCL?) gets confused
>    by CLSQL's reader syntax.  What happens is that I look for the
>    definition of GET-PROJECTS-FOR-COSTS but SLIME (if it doesn't hang)
>    "finds" the definition for GET-PROJECTS which is two top-level
>    forms off.  The relevant part of the code looks like this:
>
>      #.(clsql:locally-enable-sql-reader-syntax)

Interesting idiom! And I don't think it will play well with our
source-path-finder binding *READ-SUPPRESS* to T because this seems to
prevent #. from having an effect.

How about if you tweak swank-source-path-parser.lisp to not bind
*READ-SUPPRESS* to T?

I don't really see how this would lead to a heap explosion one way or
the other but for that I think my last suggestion of running outside
SLIME and prodding the definition-finder manually.

What happens if you remove that binding in
swank-source-path-parser.lisp?

>    Nevertheless, the fact that usage of this syntax can potentially
>    kill Emacs/SLIME makes me kind of nervous...

I thought it wasn't killing Emacs after all?