[slime-devel] .swank.lisp

Peter Seibel peter at gigamonkeys.com
Tue Mar 1 21:53:55 UTC 2005

I'm working on my Lisp in a Box distro and I want to make SLIME load
.swank.lisp from somewhere other than USER-HOMEDIR-PATHNAME. I'm not
sure what the best way to do that is. Looks like the simplest least
intrusive way would be to change swank-loader's USER-INIT-FILE to
something like:

  (defun user-init-file ()
    "Return the name of the user init file or nil."
    (probe-file
      (merge-pathnames (or (SOME-MAGIC-HERE) (user-homedir-pathname))
                       (make-pathname :name ".swank" :type "lisp"))))

Do folks have any objection to this? And if not, does anyone have any
ideas about what SOME-MAGIC-HERE should do? Ideally I'd like something
that will work on OS X, GNU/Linux, and Windows.

Or another way to achieve my goal, is to have swank-loader load a
file, site-swank.lisp if it exists and to define a variable which will
turn off loading of the user-init-file. Then I can build a
site-swank.lisp that does the initialization I need for Lispbox and
then disable loading of the users .swank.lisp. (I want to do this
because the whole point of my Lispbox distro is to provide a stable a
predictable environment.

-Peter

Peter Seibel                                     peter at gigamonkeys.com