[slime-devel] Re: It's not just me! [was: CLISP on Windows?]

Peter Seibel peter at gigamonkeys.com
Mon Jun 27 03:10:40 UTC 2005

So, as I mentioned in another message, I have the Windows firewall
completely turned off. Dorking around with slime.el it seems that the
problem is that in slime-start-swank-server the call to

  (comint-send-string process
    (format "(swank:start-server %S :external-format %s)\n"
    file encoding))

is having no effect. In fact, it doesn't seem to be happening at
all. I put something in the elisp that loads slime to trace
comint-send-string and I put a call to message right before the call
to comint-send-string and I see the message but no sign of any
activity from comint-send-string. However if, in the *inferior-lisp*
buffer I call swank:start-server with the same arguments as it was
supposed to be called with here, a) SLIME then finishes conecting and
starts up and b) I see the trace of comint-send-string. So does anyone
have any idea why this isn't working? FWIW, I have cygwin installed on
this box but I'm not (as far as I know) using it in Lispbox--I have a
.bat file that launches Lispbox and I'm using the plain vanilla binary
distributions of Emacs and CLISP.

-Peter

Peter Seibel           * peter at gigamonkeys.com