[slime-devel] Re: Maxima+Slime?

C Y smustudent1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 3 12:38:31 UTC 2005

--- Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> wrote:

> C Y <smustudent1 at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Maxima encountered a Lisp error:
> >
> >  The value #<SWANK-BACKEND::SLIME-INPUT-STREAM {9006619}>
> >  is not of type
> >    SB-KERNEL:ANSI-STREAM.
>
> This particular bit looks like a SBCL bug.  interactive-stream-p
> doesn't work on Gray streams.

In CMUCL, the failure looks like this:

(%i1) a;

Maxima encountered a Lisp error:

 :INTERACTIVE-P fell through ECASE expression.
 Wanted one of (:CLOSE :ELEMENT-TYPE :GET-COMMAND :LINE-LENGTH :CHARPOS
:LISTEN
                :CLEAR-INPUT :UNREAD :FILE-LENGTH :FILE-POSITION).

Automatically continuing.
To reenable the Lisp debugger set *debugger-hook* to nil.

> > Hmm. So it might take coding up a special REPL?
>
> Depends on what you want.  Maxima's REPL should also work in SLIME.
> Of course this will (should) only be the same as in a terminal.  If
> you need fancy stuff like Maxima specific completion or indentation
> you have to create your own REPL. (Probably quite a bit of work.)

That I don't think we have anyway (would be nice though.)  Terminal
would be fine, but it doesn't seem to like something somewhere here
:-/.

> Perhaps there's a cheaper solution, e.g. you could try to use the
> normal SLIME REPL and a reader macro that reads the rest of the line
> as Maxima syntax.  Don't know how useful/feasible that is.

Before that point I'll probably stick with the multithread solution,
which does seem to work OK :-).  Won't help on anything but cmucl or
(maybe) sbcl, but I'm content to work with those for a while.

Cheers,
CY