[slime-devel] bug report: slime gets in the way even outside slime mode

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Wed Jun 1 14:38:03 UTC 2005

"Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril" <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com> writes:

> after my clisp went unresponsive (probably some FFI stuff),
> allocating a 750MB heap, I had to really kill -KILL it.  Now, I'm in
> a .lisp buffer, and want to insert anything into it. It fails, I
> can't edit that buffer, and there's an error message "No default
> connection selected" which looks like it comes from SLIME.

"No default connection selected" basically means there is one or more
open connection but none is "selected".

> Why is slime trying to do anything here? What is it trying to do?

This can happen if you have two connections, say one for CLISP and one
CMUCL.  SLIME notices that CLISP dies, but it doesn't "select" the
other connection as the default connection.  Now if you press SPC in a
Lisp buffer, SLIME tries to lookup the arglist but first tests whether
there is a selected connection.  This check fails and causes the "No
default connection selected" error.

We also have a first-change-hook to notify the Lisp process that a
file will be changed (so that it can cache the unmodified file).  This
hook should not run if slime-mode is disabled.

Both should be fixed in CVS.

> Hmm, maybe the crash was due to slime trying to print a circular
> list structure (more precisely, an array with circular references,
> i.e. containing itself). Running clisp a second time inside slime, I
> managed to ^C it while in PRINT, when it had only allocated 350MB
> RAM...

Possibly.  You still have to set your printer variables to reasonable
values.

Thanks for the report.