[slime-devel] specifying charset of a file to compile

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Wed Jul 6 16:56:02 UTC 2005

frederic.gobry at epfl.ch (Frédéric Gobry) writes:

> What does not work:
>
>  - when I use C-c C-k, the functions seem to be compiled as if the
>    source code was in latin-1 I think.
>
> How can I configure slime to behave similarly whether it compiles a
> file or a function?

I added a bit support for this.  If you add

  -*- slime-coding: utf-8-unix -*-

to your file, SLIME will pass it as :external-format argument to
COMPILE-FILE.  It only works for C-c C-k and only for a few backends.
There may be problems with source locations which use byte offsets or
ASDF or other code which opens source files without specifying the
encoding.  Maybe CL:OPEN should be smarter about encodings and not
SLIME.