[slime-devel] Re: It's not just me!

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Tue Jul 5 11:35:02 UTC 2005

"Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril" <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com> writes:

> It appears that the code in CVS provides a different implementation
> of getpid than what I sent to the slime list a few weeks ago.  I
> don't know why there was a change. I saw no mention of a problem in
> this mailing list since. The current CVS is broken in some aspects
> (portability, FFI declaration, missing interface). Did my code break
> something?

The CLISP/Win32 returned -1.

> I think that my own code, in a win32-clisp (not cygwin) 2.33.1 or older, without the WIN32 package, will define getpid to the constant -1. If this causes a problem, please tell me and I can change that. Possibly processes will not be interruptible. clisp >2.33.2 should work. I appreciate it when new code still works with old versions of other programs.

Well, the idea behind getpid is that Emacs can send a SIGINT to that
process to interrupt it.  That ideas does apparently not work so well
on Windows but it certainly will not work if getpid returns -1.

I guess SIGINT is not the Windows way and something else should be
used instead.