[slime-devel] Re: C-M-x kills emacs

Vadim Nasardinov el-vadimo at comcast.net
Fri Jan 21 20:12:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 13:37 +0100, Luke Gorrie wrote:
> or directory" error. If the bind(2) system call is doing this then the
> only reason I can think of is if we try to bind to an IP address that
> does not exist, but that's weird because we're binding to 127.0.0.1.
> (Somehow this rings a vague bell though..)

A shot in the dark:  recent linux distros come with IPv6 enabled by
default.  This seems to cause problems for some apps.  I had to disable
mine, for example, because I couldn't get SMTP working correctly over
a port-forwarded ssh connection.  The server didn't like the EHLO
command my mail client was generating:

EHLO [::1]

Note that ::1 is an IPv6 loopback address.

Granted, this has probably nothing to do with the problem you're
trying to figure out, but you never know.  The only reason I
remembered is because you mentioned 127.0.0.1.