[slime-devel] Re: how do I invoke the debugger and step through a function?

ramb at sonic.net ramb at sonic.net
Fri Jan 21 02:57:09 UTC 2005

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> ramb at sonic.net writes:
>
>> I've created a function (defun tester () ...) that does almost
>> what I want - but its not totally correct. I would like to use
>> the slime debugger to start this function and single step through
>> its various parts to see where the mistake is. How do I do that with
>> slime?
>
> The support for stepping is, unfortunately, not very good.  I usually
> insert a call to BREAK at the beginning of the function like:
>
>   (defun tester () (break) ...)
>
> recompile the function, and then run the function.  The debugger will
> pop up and you can use `s' for stepping.

Thanks for this tip - it works ok.

Is the limitation a function of slime or does it have to do
with CMUCL or some other part? Not that I would be able to help
but I wonder - if the limitation is in slime then maybe a clever
lisp hacker would be able to make stepping work better.

Thank you again.
-Ram