[slime-devel] Problem with reading from *QUERY-IO*

Peter Seibel peter at javamonkey.com
Wed Jan 19 02:23:05 UTC 2005

In a just synced SLIME running against a just synced CVS Emacs an
GNU/Linux with Allegro 7.0 I seem to be having some trouble reading
from *QUERY-IO*. One call works fine but two calls in a row drop me in
a debugger, perhaps because there's some extra characters on the
stream that are being considered as constituent chars. Here's a simple
test case:

  CL-USER> (progn (read *query-io*) (read *query-io*))
  :foo
  :bar
  ; Evaluation aborted

The error in the debugger was this:

  Package "^@" not found.
     [Condition of type READER-ERROR]

  Restarts:
    0: [ABORT] Abort handling SLIME request.
    1: [ABORT] Abort entirely from this (lisp) process.

  Backtrace:
    0: (SWANK::DEBUG-IN-EMACS #<READER-ERROR @ #x72144cd2>)
    1: ((FLET SWANK:SWANK-DEBUGGER-HOOK SWANK::DEBUG-IT))
    2: (SWANK:SWANK-DEBUGGER-HOOK #<READER-ERROR @ #x72144cd2> #<Function SWANK-DEBUGGER-HOOK>)
    3: (ERROR READER-ERROR :STREAM #<TWO-WAY-STREAM "" @ #x71345fd2> :FORMAT-CONTROL "~?~@[ [file position = ~d]~]" :FORMAT-ARGUMENTS ("Package ~S not found." ("") NIL))
    4: (READ #<TWO-WAY-STREAM "" @ #x71345fd2>)
    5: (EVAL (PROGN (READ *QUERY-IO*) (READ *QUERY-IO*)))

As far as I can tell the ^@ is a null (char-code #\^@) ==> 0

-Peter

Peter Seibel                                      peter at javamonkey.com