[slime-devel] unix domain sockets

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jan 10 19:39:13 UTC 2005

Marcus Breiing <list-slime-devel at breiing.com> writes:

> I later realized that this doesn't really matter, because we should be
> able to use an arbitrary process object with a suitable external
> command.  I tried it, and it's working very nicely so far, using
>
>   unixclient path-to-socket ucspi-proxy
>
> as a command in a process object on the Emacs side ("unixclient" and
> "ucspi-proxy" are available in Debian in the ucspi-unix and
> ucspi-proxy packages.)

Yes, that would be possible and the needed changes on the Lisp seem to
be small.  But I think unix socket support, or security in general,
isn't very important for a development tool.  The external helper
programs add some complexity and I think it's more important to keep
the system simple than to add security features.