[slime-devel] Re: *read-default-float-format* with C-c C-k, , load-system, etc.

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Jan 1 12:30:52 UTC 2005

Dirk Gerrits <dirk at dirkgerrits.com> writes:

> Okay I still haven't found a solution, so maybe I should just type
> "l0"'s all the time and leave *read-default-float-format* at its default
> setting?

SBCL inherits values of special variables from the parent thread; I've
slightly lost track of how slime works multithreadedly -- does it
spawn a new thread for each evaluation, or does it farm them off to a
worker thread?

Also, each thread has its own binding of the various CL specials, so
setting the value in one thread won't affect the values in other
threads.

Given your description, I would suggest trying to set
*read-default-float-format* in the slime thread which does some work:
try first setting it in the *inferior-lisp* buffer.  If that's not the
right thread to set it in, and you can find the right one but can't
set the variable in it, shout and I'll make a (setf
(symbol-value-in-thread ...) ...) function available.

Cheers,

Christophe