[slime-devel] Re: SLIME48: a Swank back end in Scheme48

Taylor Campbell campbell at bloodandcoffee.net
Thu Aug 25 19:33:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Julian Stecklina wrote:

> Taylor Campbell <campbell at bloodandcoffee.net> writes:
>
> >> With what version of scheme48 does it work?
> >
> > It will run in Scheme48 1.3.  It could be modified to run in slightly
> > earlier versions, but there would need to be somewhat more major
> > changes for it to run in 0.57 or earlier.
>
> Do you think it will work with scsh (the SCheme SHell)? It is
> Scheme48-based.

No.  Scsh is based on a very old version of Scheme48 -- 0.53, which is
about four or five years old --, and many system internals have changed
since then, most notably in the multithreading libraries.  SLIME48
could probably be modified to run in scsh, but it won't do so out of
the box.  An endeavour to make scsh run in Scheme48 1.3 would be much
more worthwhile, though considerably more difficult; I hear that there
has been some work on that at Tuebingen, where most Scheme48
development is happening these days, but I don't know many details of
this effort.  (Much of the work would involve restructuring scsh to
probe less deeply into Scheme48's internals and modularizing it much
more cleanly.)