[slime-devel] Re: Slime and :sb-futex on recent CVS SBCLs

Luke Gorrie luke at synap.se
Wed Apr 20 10:29:37 UTC 2005

dan at telent.net writes:

> This isn't just about CVS SBCL; SB-FUTEX was removed last month before
> the 0.8.21 release

Thanks for chiming in!

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 01:56:21PM +0200, Vincent Arkesteijn wrote:
> > A somewhat related problem, which will be uncovered by fixing the
> > one that Andreas describes, surfaces when running SLIME+SBCL on
> > a non-NPTL 2.4 kernel. :sb-thread is still on *features*, so
> > swank:*communication-style* will be set to :spawn, but calling
> > make-thread will then fail. Not nice.
> >
> > Possible solutions:
> > 1) Remove :sb-thread from *features* when running on a non-NPTL
> >    kernel.
>
> I think this (and the consequently necessary changes to the fasl
> compatibility checker) is probably TRT, but not this close to a
> release.
>
> > 2) Add some function or variable to SBCL that can be used to check
> >    whether threads actually work, and change SLIME to use that.
>
> * (defun communication-style () (if (and (member :sb-thread *features*) (not (sb-alien:extern-alien "linux_no_threads_p" sb-alien:boolean))) :spawn :fd-handler))

This works for me with :sb-thread on 2.6 and I have committed it.

It would be great if people can quickly cvs update and test that
(swank-backend:preferred-communication-style) returns the right thing
on these platforms:

  Linux 2.4 non-NPTL: :FD-HANDLER
  Linux 2.4 NPTL:     :SPAWN
  OSX:                :FD-HANDLER