[slime-devel] Double newlines sent to clisp on user input

Alex Farran alex at alexfarran.com
Sun Apr 17 12:10:33 UTC 2005

I'm running through Practical Common Lisp using SLIME + clisp on
slackware, and I've run into a problem in chapter 3 with the
prompt-for-cd function:

(defun prompt-for-cd ()
  (make-cd
   (prompt-read "Title")
   (prompt-read "Artist")
   (or (parse-integer (prompt-read "Rating") :junk-allowed t))
   (y-or-n-p "Ripped [y/n]: ")))

If I run clisp in a terminal it works as expected:

[6]> (prompt-for-cd)
Title: La Peste
Artist: Alabama 3
Rating: 5
Ripped [y/n]:  (y/n) y
(:TITLE "La Peste" :ARTIST "Alabama 3" :RATING 5 :RIPPED T)

But in SLIME this happens:

CL-USER> (prompt-for-cd)
Title: La Peste
Artist: Rating: 5

Ripped [y/n]:  (y/n)
Please answer with y or n : y

(:TITLE "La Peste" :ARTIST "" :RATING 5 :RIPPED T)

It seems that for every one newline I enter two are sent.  Is there
something I can configure to fix it?  I've tried running SLIME with my
existing emacs and clisp and also with the versions compiled as part
of the lisp-in-a-box package.  I get the same problem either way.

Alex