[slime-devel] Re: [Patch] Improve slime-edit-definition-other-window and ...-frame

Luke Gorrie luke at synap.se
Fri Apr 1 10:07:42 UTC 2005

Matthias Koeppe <mkoeppe+slime at mail.math.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:

> Luke Gorrie <luke at synap.se> writes:
>
> > Can you try to rewrite the function below in a hairless way? Often
> > it's possible to do a clearer job than Emacs itself does.
>
> Sorry, I don't have time to work on that.  I copied the code from
> Emacs exactly because I wanted the _same_ behavior as Emacs.

No worries. I agree that the behaviour is good but I think we can do
this more clearly than Emacs does.

The tricky part seems to be that they first change the original
window, then split, then try to put the original window back the way
it was by hand. I think it's simpler to split first and then only
change the new window, like this:

  (defun slime-goto-definition-other-window (definition)
    (slime-pop-to-other-window)
    (slime-goto-source-location (slime-definition.location definition))
    (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer)))

  (defun slime-pop-to-other-window ()
    "Pop to the other window, but not to any particular buffer."
    (pop-to-buffer (current-buffer) t))

I made this change and then committed. Let me know if I mucked up the
behaviour somehow.

Cheers,
Luke