[slime-devel] Error: Attempting to change the lambda list of swank-compile-string

John M. Adams jmadams at stsci.edu
Fri Sep 24 11:37:13 UTC 2004

Dear Friends,

Using fresh 1.0 cvs with ACL 7.0 beta I observe:

;   Fast loading
;      /home/jmadams/.slime/fasl/allegro-7.0.beta/swank-backend.fasl
; ...
Error: Attempting to change the lambda list of
       #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION SWANK-COMPILE-STRING> to
       (STRING &KEY BUFFER POSITION DIRECTORY) results in a confict
       with method #<STANDARD-METHOD SWANK-COMPILE-STRING (T)>

Restart actions (select using :continue):
 0: Remove this method
 1: retry the load of /home/jmadams/.slime/fasl/allegro-7.0.beta/swank-backend.fasl
 2: skip loading /home/jmadams/.slime/fasl/allegro-7.0.beta/swank-backend.fasl
 3: retry the load of /home/jmadams/w/slime/swank-loader.lisp
 4: skip loading /home/jmadams/w/slime/swank-loader.lisp
 5: recompile /home/jmadams/w/slime/swank-loader.lisp
 6: Return to Top Level (an "abort" restart).
 7: Abort entirely from this (lisp) process.

I see that others have reported similar problems, but I have seen no
confirmed explanation.  Has anyone actually got around this problem?
I saw a suggestion that this might be caused by inadvertantly mixing
different versions of swank.lisp and slime.el but I don't think that
is the problem.

I also saw that Helmut couldn't reproduce the problem, but I don't
know what ACL version was being referred to.

Thanks a lot,