[slime-devel] Emacs command for loading Slime and application

Nicolas Neuss Nicolas.Neuss at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Sep 24 09:14:35 UTC 2004

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Nicolas Neuss <Nicolas.Neuss at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de> writes:
>
>> 1. If Slime is not already running, the load command is not executed.
>>
>> 2. If Slime is already running, Femlisp is loaded, but the package is not
>> set.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how I can achieve my goal?
>
> Yes, this is bit more difficult because most of the commands work
> asynchronously.  I changed slime-start-and-load a bit so that it
> should be usable for your needs.

Thank you, Helmut.  This works fine.  Femlisp loads, and I am left with
an "APPLICATION>" prompt.

> In general If you need commands of this sort, it's usually the easiest
> to write a small CL function for the job, so that Emacs can make a
> single RPC and doesn't need so much synchronization.

I tried to set the package in the file being loaded, but it did not work
because *PACKAGE* is specially bound during LOAD.

>> PS: Another problem is that executing (slime) apparently sets back some
>> variables, e.g. *READ-DEFAULT-FLOAT-FORMAT* which I have set to
>> DOUBLE-FLOAT when loading Femlisp.  Why is that?
>
> Can't help you here without more details.  Which Lisp are you using?
> Which communication style?  Are threads involved?  We don't set
> *READ-DEFAULT-FLOAT-FORMAT* explicit, but there's always the
> possibility for bug and that we used WITH-STANDARD-IO-SYNTAX in a wrong
> place.

I have tried it now again with CMUCL and I could not reproduce this error,
i.e. when I do `M-x slime', *READ-DEFAULT-FLOAT-FORMAT* remains at
'DOUBLE-FLOAT.  Fine.  However, I see that the package of the REPL is reset
to CL-USER.  For me, it would be better if it remained FL.APPLICATION.

Or should I use a different function for bringing up the SLIME-REPL buffer?

Thank you very much,

Niko.