[slime-devel] Re: xref

Andras Simon andras at renyi.hu
Mon Sep 20 14:13:59 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Luke Gorrie wrote:

> Andras Simon <andras at renyi.hu> writes:
>
> > ABCL doesn't yet know about the long form of defsetf, used in
> > xref.lisp. Do clispers (the only users of xref in slime) have
> > anything against the patch below? It seems to work in clisp, but I'm
> > no defsetf expert, so I'd rather ask before committing.
>
> Is it hard to implement defsetf? I've heard a good principle for Lisp

Dunno.

> implementors is to take these incompatibilities as a motivation to
> extend their Lisp rather than contorting programs to use CL subsets.
> :-)

That's a good point.

Anyway, as a temporary measure, I did commit a new version of swank-abcl.lisp
which has xref support, but it's commented out. If anyone cares, they could
locally patch xref.lisp as in
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.slime.devel/2425, and uncomment the xref
section.

BTW, this is as good an occasion as any to ask if there's anybody using slime
with abcl. Or if there's anybody who has tried to but met unsurmountable
difficulties and gave up on it. I'd love to learn about these! There are some
problems that I'm aware of (they mostly have to do with abcl's incomplete Gray
streams implementation), but it should be good enough for most kinds of work.

Andras