[slime-devel] Is there an easy way to open an output stream in lisp that goes to a slime buffer?

Peter Seibel peter at javamonkey.com
Fri Sep 17 17:08:21 UTC 2004

Clearly there's some machinery in SLIME for creating streams that are
actually connected to sockets that communicate with emacs. My question
is there an easy way to, on the Common Lisp side, open a stream such
that a new buffer is created in emacs and all data sent to the stream
will end up in that buffer? I.e. I'm hoping to be able to do something
like this:

  (format (make-slime-stream) "hello, world!~%")

and have "hello, world!" appear in a new emacs buffer. (Actually what
I'm really hoping to do is redirect the log of AllegroServe to a slime
buffer so it's easy to get at without it cluttering up either the
SLIME REPL or *inferior-lisp*.

-Peter

Peter Seibel                                      peter at javamonkey.com