[slime-devel] slime 1.0 : debian package now available

Sean Champ schamp at commonwerx.org
Tue Sep 7 16:17:24 UTC 2004

Hello,

I wanted to mention that I've done the stuff that would
debianize slime. It's done-up for Slime 1.0, even.

The debian package is available here:
 http://commonwerx.org/software/contrib/slime/deb/
...specficially, as
 http://commonwerx.org/software/contrib/slime/deb/slime_1.0-1_all.deb

Now, some notes, about the package:

- I'll be working on making a formal apt-style repository for it,
  sometime, i figure (once i can get some repository-making stuff
  worked-up with Common Lisp, and maybe not with PERL, I think)

- The package was built on debian/sid - I'm not sure how well it'll
  work on other Debian releases - like, on sarge or on woody -, though
  I figure that it should be fine, regardless.  If it's not, I can
  work on packaging it for other Debianish releases.

- the package, it does include the postinst/prerm stuff with
  common-lisp-controller, for swank.asd, and it does include some
  stuff for installing the slime emacs code, with the debian policies
  about emacsen - so, hopefully it'll fit all snugly, with everything
  that it needs to.

If there are any problems about the package or the packaging, please
just mention it, and I'll get to resolving it, momentarily.

Now, some notes taht are not, so much, about the package, but which
are probably worth mentioning, here, at about the same time:

- The current URL, for it, is "kind of temporary" (until i get
  around to configuring a vhost to use specifically for "software
  stuff") - but, the URLs mentioned here, they do work, and
   they should continue to work, even after any-such-updates

- I'm not 100% sure about using the "all" architecture for the package - I
  I figure that it should work, but if it causes a problem, I'd be glad to
  hear of it

- the *.diff.gz there - available under the first URL given, above -
  the diff should contain just the contents of the ./debian/
  directory; I've no problem, about the prospect of those ./debian/*
  files being added to the slime upstream cvs code. (I've no worries
  about it, regardless - whether or not it  would be seen as if
  those ./debian/* files - from the diff.gz -  as if they would worth
  adding to the main slime codebase)

- I'd be willing to be an official debian package maintainer for
  slime. I'm not sure how that would work, though - I've heard
  something about being "sponsored" for it, at least. I notice that
  this does go off-topic from the list, though - but for to mention,
  if anyone might be in a spot for it, that I'm willing to take it up.

I think that's all of it.

Slime is really really keen; I'm glad to be able to use it,
seriously. So, thank you.

--
Sean Champ
schamp at commonwerx.org