[slime-devel] suggestion for ~/.slime/fasl/*

Pascal J.Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Fri Oct 22 19:02:12 UTC 2004

Martin Simmons writes:

>   Pascal> Some lisp implementation can be run on different architectures.
>
>   Pascal> If users keep the same home on different computers this will lead to
>   Pascal> collision in ~/.slime/fasl/* directories.
>
>   Pascal> To generate the directory name for fasl files, I use the following
>   Pascal> function, adding the machine type:
>
>   Pascal> (defun first-word (text)
>   Pascal>   (let ((pos (position (character " ") text)))
>   Pascal>     (if pos (subseq text 0 pos) text)))
>
>   Pascal> (defun implementation-id ()
>   Pascal>   (format nil "~A-~A-~A"
>   Pascal>           (first-word (lisp-implementation-type))
>   Pascal>           (first-word (lisp-implementation-version))
>   Pascal>           (first-word (machine-type))));;implementation-id
>
> This could be problematic if any of the functions returns a string containing
> illegal filename characters (e.g. /).

We could do further filtering, or once such an implementation is
identified, we could map the values it returns to sane words.

Anyway, the point here is to add the machine type (uname -m) to be
able to have in the same NFS-mounted home directory both
SBCL-0.8.14.9-X86 and SBCL-0.8.14.9-PowerPC.

Voting Democrat or Republican is like choosing a cabin in the Titanic.