[slime-devel] Re: Macro indentation redux

Pascal J.Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Tue Oct 19 11:58:19 UTC 2004

Helmut Eller writes:
> "Pascal J.Bourguignon" <pjb at informatimago.com> writes:
>
> > Helmut Eller writes:
> >> Using Common Lisp doesn't sound like an advantage to me.  Emacs Lisp
> >> has lots of stuff that make writing indentation code easy: regexps,
> >
> > How do you write a regexp to match the following sexp?
> >
> > Anything that can do that would be much better than what emacs is now.
>
> What are you trying to say?  You can't describe a sexp with a regular
> grammar because sexps can be nested.  You need a context free grammar or
> so.

Indeed.

> If you want to parse a sexp use parse-partial-sexp.

But imagine being able to type:

    M-x replace-lalr RET
    (slot-value  *\([:sexp:]\) *'\([:sexp:]\)) RET
    (\2 \1) RET

Moreover, parse-partial-sexp is an emacs built-in that does not know
the syntax of Common-Lisp, much less that of other languages.

Voting Democrat or Republican is like choosing a cabin in the Titanic.