[slime-devel] Re: Indenting macro bodies

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Oct 17 19:00:08 UTC 2004

Peter Seibel <peter at javamonkey.com> writes:

> Not that I have a lot of free time at the moment to actually do it but
> how would folks feel about forking the cl-indent.el from emacs into
> SLIME so we can hack on it without having to deal with getting the
> "official" version that comes with Emacs patched. (I've submitted a
> couple patches to cl-indent.el to the GNU emacs maintainers. One went
> in; the other disappeared into a black hole.) This would also probably
> improve the portability of user experience for SLIME users who switch
> between GNU Emacs and Xemacs. (I have no idea if that's currently a
> problem.)

I added a patched version of cl-indent.el in to the SLIME CVS version.
I think I fixed a bug that particular caused bad indentation for ","
and ",@" even if lisp-backquote-indentation was t.  The "def.*"
heuristic can be disabled with by setting
lisp-prefix-match-indentation to nil.

Hacking the indentation code is not particularly easy and it would be
nice if to have a test suite for this stuff.

I would like to submit the changes we make to cl-indent to the Emacs
maintainers and therefore we should be a bit careful with copyrights.
Every Emacs contributor has to sign papers and assign the copyright to
the FSF.  So everyone who sends a patch for cl-indent which is larger
than a page should also willing to do assign copyrights.