[slime-devel] SLIME-repl input problems

Lynn Quam quam at ai.sri.com
Mon May 24 14:56:21 UTC 2004

Helmut Eller replied:

>  Lynn Quam <quam at ai.sri.com> writes:
>
>  > If an s-expr involves multiple-lines (ie. the s-expr is incomplete
>  > and RET is typed), Lisp enters the debugger with an EOF error during
>  > READ.  I observe this problem with both CMUCL and Allegro.
>
>  Hmm.. do you mean, you get the error when you send an incomplete
>  expression via C-u RET?  In that case, I think entering the debugger
>  is a reasonable response. (RET without prefix argument shouldn't send
>  incomplete expressions.)
>
>  Or are you suggesting we should catch reader errors or something else?
>  If so, please give an example of the input and the preferred response.
>
>  Helmut.

The problem is with slime-repl-return (RET) , not with C-u RET.  I
narrowed down the problem further: It occurs with input starting with
single-quote and back-quote characters, but not with input starting
with optional white-space followed by left-paren.

Looking at slime.el, the problem appears to be in
slime-input-complete-p.  (looking-at "\\s *(") is probably the wrong
regular-expression for inputs starting with single-quote and
back-quote characters.