[slime-devel] Re: sbcl sources

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Sat May 22 09:24:03 UTC 2004

Gabor Melis <mega at hotpop.com> writes:

> I'm not sure it's a SLIME question.

I don't think it's entirely a SLIME question, but a certain amount of
co-operation is probably required.

> I'm running debian and have the cmucl-source package installed and I
> like that it's possible to view these sources from a backtrace. I'd
> like to do the same with sbcl, but how?

SBCL is compiled such that all of its fasls believe they've been
compiled from files in the SYS logical host.  That is, for instance,
#'+ reports that it was compiled from SYS:SRC;CODE;NUMBERS.LISP, and
so on.  It should therefore be as simple as untarring the sbcl source
somewhere and setting up a translation for the SYS logical host in
your ~/.sbclrc (or /etc/sbclrc).

This gets you most of the way there, but there may be confusion
ensuing because the system sources are not READable to the running
system: package names have changed, and there is a #! readmacro used
in the sources that isn't present in the target image.  A hacky
workaround is to load the "chill.lisp" file from the sbcl sources, but
better would be for the SLIME people and the SBCL people (yes, this
might mean me) to sit down and work out what is required for this to
just work.  I posted about this on slime-devel a while ago, about
giving a specified restart for packages that look like sb!foo -- I
don't remember anything coming of that, though.

Cheers,

Christophe